Solicitation of artifacts for the SISU Language Museum
e are pleased to announce that Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) is building a language museum.To promote its construction and to enrich and build up its collection,the language museum is now soliciting donations of artifacts from teachers,students,alumni,the community,enterprises,institutions,government organizations,etc.
The range of materials that are being solicited is outlined below:
(1) Material objects,documents,photos,and audio-video materials related to the chronological stages or the dialects of languages from the world's major language families (including but not limited to Sino–Tibetan,Altaic,Austroasiatic,Austronesian,Dravidian,Indo-European,Uralic,Caucasian,Afroasiatic,Niger-Congo,Nile-Saharan,Khoisan,Paleo-Siberian,Papuan,Australian Aboriginal,and Native American languages).In addition,artifacts are also being solicited that relate to pidgins and creoles,international auxiliary languages (such as Esperanto),and various sign languages.
(2) Material objects,documents,photos,audio-video materials or interactive devices related to the origin and evolution of human language,first language acquisition,and second language acquisition.
(3) Material objects,documents,photos,and audio-video materials related tolangueandparoleor elements of language (including but not limited to sound,meaning,vocabulary,and grammar).
(4) Material objects or replicas of them,documents,photos,and audio-video materials related to the relationship between languages and writing systems,the origin and development of writing systems,the world's major writing systems (including but not limited to hieroglyphic,ideographic,logographic,syllabic,abjad,and alphabetic scripts),as well as proto-writing scripts.
(5) Material objects,documents,photos,audio-video materials or interactive devices related to the biological basis for human language,language perception,and language production.
(6) Material objects,documents,photos,and audio-video materials related to language and communication;language and literature;language and classics;language and translation;language and culture;language and education;and endangered language and its preservation.
(7) Material objects,documents,photos,and audio-video materials related to language education and language studies.
(8) Technology applications or user experience devices relating to language combined with publishing and printing,artificial intelligence,web-based instruction,virtual reality (VR),brain science,and neuro science.This includes but is not limited to devices of speech recognition and synthesis,natural language processing,computational linguistics,speech therapy,etc.
(9) Other relevant items,documents,phonetic data,corpuses,and film and television programs that are related to language.
Ways to Support the SISU Language Museum
Ways to offer items to the SISU Language Museum include but are not limited to the following: donations,offering replicas,exhibiting on loan,and placing in trust.Details about how to donate,etc.,can be negotiated.
(1)Donations: We sincerely look forward to donations to the SISU Language Museum.Donators will be awarded certificates and items donated will be documented and appropriately conserved at the SISU Language Museum.Please attach description of items offered.
(2)Offering replicas: We also welcome the donation of replicas,including photographed or scanned versions.Providers will be awarded certificates.The materials collected will be on display for people to study.They may also be accessible extramurally in a way agreed by both sides.Please attach description of items being offered.
(3)Exhibiting on loan: According to relevant legislation and regulation,the owner of the item exhibited on loan shall receive a certificate and item shall be tagged to indicate its source.Please attach descriptions of items offered.
(4)Artifacts held in trust: An agreement will be signed between the museum and the owner of items held in trust.Such items will be appropriately conserved without charge and exhibited in a way agreed by both sides.Please attach descriptions of items offered.
Please contact us if you would like to provide or donate items to this worthy effort.
Thank you for your support in the construction of the SISU Language Museum.
Shanghai International Studies University
Language Museum Preparatory Office
Phone: +86 (21) 3537 2578 / 3537 2378
Fax: +86 (21) 3537 2643
Address: Office of CPC Publicity (Rm.303 and 304,Administration Building),No.550 Dalian West Road,Shanghai,China (200083)
Contacts: LI Lei